- Program: Primavera P6 Professional
- Version: all versions
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Time to Complete: 8 minutes
A great way to see all your resource assignment levels comparatively over time is to use P6′s Stacked Histogram chart. It’s a feature that is available in the Resource Usage Profile charting facility.
Stacked Histograms are common sight in project environments. Primavera P6′s stacked histogram stacks each bar on top of each other to give you a full view of your resourcing over time. The stacked histogram can graph either At Completion Units or At Completion Cost.
The stacked histogram offers the following advantages over Primavera’s standard Resource Usage Profile graph:
- provides a richer information than the standard resource profiles
- shows how each resource / resource grouping contribute to the overall labor in a given time period
- shows relative proportions for each resource / resource grouping
- allows you to view and analyze resource trends
- color coding can be used to highlight a resource or grouping
The histogram has some options to help you tweak it. From the options screen shown here, you can add a cumulative curve (S-curve) overlay if you like. Note that you can also use the arrow buttons to adjust the order of the filters to set them just right.
The video below will walk you through the step-by-step process of building a stacked histogram in Primavera P6.